Ranting about the i-generation

Apparently I am part of the same generation that is currently going through undergrad. I find this hard to take because they seem to be fundamentally different to my peers. In particular, the present cohort appears infatuated with itself and positively excited to tell everyone. Moreover, everyone else is 'supportive' of this. Student media not only attracts more and more articles that are essentially diary entries but it also publishes more of them! I herein intend to speculate wildly on the reasons for this and other distressing phenomena.


I think it all comes down to social media. I can’t think of many other obvious and dramatic differences between my cohort and the one currently passing through. It was pretty much my last year of undergrad when Facebook hit. MySpace never even reached me. We used Facebook to organise events not promote an identity or a public image. The current cohort has grown up with Facebook, blogger, Instagram, Reddit and Twitter. They’ve used these products throughout their coming of age and I can’t help but think it’s made them very comfortable putting their identity into the world in an utterly self absorbed manner.

Everyone in high school shares themselves (or a constructed self) on social media and this is fine. What’s less okay is that the importance of social media to everyone’s self esteem seems to have made people desensitised to others talking about themselves all the time. Indeed, the current cohort seems to actively endorse such narcissistic behaviour.

Let me give a case in point. A recent issue of Woroni featured an article where some undergraduate activist I’d never heard of spent 800 words responding to a conversation she had that nobody else was privy to with a psych professor I’d never heard of who criticised her for advocating in the mental health space despite her utter lack of the appropriate skills or experience.

Who the fuck is interested in such a staggeringly self-aggrandising piece?

The problem isn’t that the student in question wrote it. It’s very important in such cases of identity crisis to put your thoughts to paper and fire it into your diary or personal blog. But surely anyone would recognise that the general populace has no interest in reading your lame attempt to justify your activities to someone dramatically more credible than you. In my day such self-indulgence would have gotten you relentlessly mocked. But no, this person decided the student body needed to hear her thoughts, so she sent the piece to Woroni.

And then they published it! What the fuck!?

The ‘Identity’ issue of Woroni this year was basically 8 feature articles where people masturbated for 800 words. First stand-out title: ‘My glorious rivalry with normal’. How about a little humility mate! Is it glorious or is it just a pretty standard rivalry? Is it ‘normal’ you’re having a rivalry with or mediocrity? How about you let the audience be the judge! My second favourite was ‘You know my name, not my story’. This is the opening paragraph:

I’m not your stock-standard anyone. I find it very difficult to stereotype or label myself because I find that I’m just too different. This is great. I don’t like the idea of being a sheep in a flock. Rather, I much prefer the notion of the ugly duckling—or in my case, the ridiculously handsome one.
Pass me a bucket! What happened to tall poppy syndrome? Since when do we tolerate someone saying they are both handsome and a special snowflake in the first breath of an article?


The mental health issue was more of the same: just personal stories, as though anecdotes hold all the transcendental truths of this world. As though the only thing young adults want to read about are the half-formed thoughts of other young adults. As though getting over mental health is just a matter of knowing there are others like you. 

Now don’t get me wrong—sometimes this stuff is useful. Occasionally you get someone who has a genuinely interesting personal story, the wisdom to draw out the insights and the talent and humour to communicate them in an accessible manner. I am thinking, for instance, of The Anti Cool Girl.

But the rest of the time it seems as simple as courtesy to think that maybe your peers don’t just want to read about you.

And the alternative is obvious—some actual fucking journalism: do some research.

For example, that masterpiece ‘You know my name, not my story’ contains this profound insight: ‘I argue that humans feel the need to identify with others who grant us a sense of belonging’. I love how he dresses up the most elementary observation of sociology, psychology and anthropology as his insight. Then, convinced of his genius by this thought bubble he’s had, the author declines to consult the literature to see what actually profound insights this first step might lead us to and instead embarks on an analysis of ‘urban tribes’, by which he actually means the hipsters of Braddon.

If the author had actually read something instead of stopping at the borders of his own mind he might have stumbled across Simmel’s work on the dynamics of social differentiation in the metropolis (c. 1903), or the neuroscience of why we seek group identity before we move onto individuation, or Kekes work on authenticity, or literarily thousands of other, deeper thoughts.

This isn’t hard. One of the better articles this year was a piece suggesting high school sex-education programs should be re-oriented to focus on discussions of date rape given that the overwhelming majority of sexual assault cases among young girls flow from there rather than stranger danger. We have a winner! And it was little more than an outside statistic, a topic that might interest people other than the author, and a clear point.

Equally, the mental health issue might have involved interviewing the world-leading staff at ANU and synthesising the research that was interesting to students. The author of that torrid tripe might have requested a discussion with the expert who lambasted them so as to share with students the complexities of the case rather than just her view of herself (blurgh). Coverage of the cost of living might feasibly have involved asking one of the uni’s welfare economists whether centrelink really is impossible to live on or whether it might instead be quite manageable so long as you don’t feel entitled to craft beer. The identity issue might involve correspondents reading some of the more important books on the subject and sharing some of the insights with readers.

The key thing we seem to have forgotten is that ‘you’re not special’, and even if you are that won’t become apparent for another decade while you get educated. Student media could, feasibly, be a place to share your recent education with your peers rather than sharing your inflated ego. 

Moving on to more wild speculation (this is my blog so it’s okay that I’m not researching this further—I won’t be sending this to media), I have a creeping suspicion that this masturbatory aspect of social media is substantially implicated in the current social justice war playing out on university campuses. When we are so comfortable not only with promoting ourselves publically but also with others publically promoting themselves it is easy to make people’s ‘feelings’ into idols. If old mate above is so far up his arse that he passes off herd mentality as his own idea it seems reasonable to consider that others in this cohort might think there is no possible reason not to ban Germaine Greer from a talk on feminism if you, a half-baked young adult, are made ‘uncomfortable’ by her views. After all, you’re a genius, everyone keeps telling you so, especially yourself, so if you think a feminist icon is actually an oppressive monster then of course she should be banned, even if you can’t articulate an intelligible argument beyond I disagree with her.  

I’m reminded here of an anecdote from the raging controversy at Yale. A student wrote an article in which they said: “I don’t want to debate. I want to talk about my pain”. For the most part, I think that’s fine. Take it to a counsellor whose job it is to listen. The problem comes when talking about your pain involves causing pain to others by censoring them or forcing them to shut up because ‘this song is all about me’ (see here). Then we inevitably need to have a debate, because there is more than one person involved. But if you live in the i-land of the i-generation, then the fact that you are upset is more than enough grounds to shut it all down.

The rage is now mostly gone from my system so I’m going to end this rant. I sure do hope these crazy pills wear off soon or we’re fucked.  

Comments