Books, movies, art etc. that have had an impact on me

Just a list of artistic works across genres that have had an impact on me and I'd recommend to other people. I'll expand this as I remember stuff. You'll notice a rather strong pagan vibe. 

Nausica of the valley of the wind by Studio Ghibli (closest thing I've ever had to a religion experience)

Jitterbug perfume by Tom Robbins


Eva Luna by Isabelle Allende


Ocean/Sea by Alessandro Baricco


Sydney Long's art, especially The Spirit of the Plains


By Tranquil Waters


The Music Lesson,


 Pan


and his Kookaburra paintings and studies


The Weekend's House of Balloons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrKa5d1it3c&list=PLxs2jjSwI-sKex0axH0dayxz2BtKESCSn. This was his demo tape. I'm glad he's in a better place these days and still making absolute bangers, but I miss the raw emotional insights into what unrealised genius feels like, especially when you haven't learnt to ride it yet and it's just roiling through your subconscious like a Tsunami. My Dear Melancholy (especially Privilege) was a nice little return to these vibes.  

Josef Salvat's Night Swim - similar to above, but more up beat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXiMS5XW6kA&list=PLcXyJ4cbNbPhyWSI5mL4cSqAMMPG5oDCN 

T. H. White The Once and Future King


The poems of Hafiz. Holy molly this guy is a genius. To say he's the Shakespeare of the middle east is an insult. Every word is sublime. Goethe said that every day we should partake of a little beauty, and for me that usually involves reading some Hafiz. A short one, just to wet your appetite: 

"There are moments in moist love where heaven is jealous of what we on earth can do".  


One more: 

"One regret, dear world, that I am determined not to have when I am lying on my deathbed, is that I did not kiss you enough". 

Tim Winton, especially Cloudstreet. Be warned that relative to his other books this one hits very hard. Tim Winton's gift is to show how ordinary people come back from the devastating random acts of life. The devastations in this one come very suddenly and are very devastating. 


Hermann Hesse Narziss and Goldmund. 


Stephen Vizinczey, In Praise of Older Women


Horizon Zero Dawn
(Aloy is the best waifu)

Comments